Pages

Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Monday, February 14, 2011

Sidebar: Dissertation Complete!

For the past nearly four years now, I have been working on my dissertation project.
I have spent countless hours reading, writing, editing, prepping, consulting, and doing more writing and editing.
The result was a 270-something-page manuscript that included an original novel, positive results, and a treatment manual.

In January, I sat down with my committee (READ: three psychologists and faculty members) to defend the product.
They passed me, but made some suggestions for edits.
So over the past month, I made changes and send drafts to my committee's chair.
When he returned a copy with a thumbs-up and no edits, I sent it off to be reviewed by the dissertation clearance office (READ: one person).
When he sent it back with no suggestions for changes - less than a week ago - we scheduled a day for the clearance meeting.
That meeting was today.

Despite the rain in the city, I made it in, pages in tact.
A few issues came up, but were quickly resolved.

I handed over my pages (on 100% cotton paper that cost nearly $40 per ream...and I had to buy two reams) and nearly $250 in money orders.
He shook my hand.
I left the building.

As of today, I am officially, 100%, no-holds-barred, completely, and utterly FINISHED with my doctoral dissertation.

The feeling of freedom simply leaving those doors and into the San Francisco drizzle was extraordinary and liberating.
I have finished my dissertation.
I have completed all required coursework for graduation.
Now.
All I need is to complete one year of full-time internship (speaking of which, applications to the California system were due today and I will find out next Friday, the 25th, whether or not I get one of the national-system placements that I applied for previously).

So close.

Time to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment